This year, Bacon Day landed on September 5th.
My cousin Stephen and brother Jimmy rented a house again for their stay this Bacon Day and was nice enough to let us have the event there. This was very much needed because as with every year the guest arrival seems to grow.
We had an awesome guest list: Me, Ric, my cousin Stephen, Wendy, Stephen’s new pups Shasta and Alice, my brother Jimmy, sister in law Robin, niece Cameron, niece Morgan, My pops (Gerald) and mom (Sandra), Aunt Linda, cousin Tommy, cousin Travis, Charlie, Rebecca, Brook, Evan, Matt, Stephen H, Laura, Jeff, Lynnette, and Alex.
Everyone showed up with various bacon goodies, packages of bacon, booze, and other supplies. Once again we were so overwhelmed with the generosity from all of our family and friends. The infamous Bacon Explosion did not make it into the festivities this year. I know! It’s a staple to the event, but we had so many wonderful things brought by guests to enjoy! The generosity of our guests was amazing and the table was always full!
Here is the menu from Bacon Day 2015:
* Bacon Sweet Rolls (Cinnamon Rolls), By: Elle
* Maple Bacon Donuts and Chocolate Bacon Donuts, from The Donut King, Brought by: Evan and Brook
* Bacon-Wrapped Beef Filet Biscuit Sandwiches, By: Stephen
* Jalapeno Poppers, By: Stephen and Wendy
* Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, By: Jimmy
* Hickory Smoked Jalapeno Bacon, By: Jimmy
* Whiskey Bacon Jam/Spread, By: Jimmy
* Kona Bacon, By: Robin
* Crab and Bacon Dip, By: Linda
* Sriracha Honey Bacon, By: Matt
* Fancy Ass B.L.T., By: Ric
* Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Burnt Ends, By: Jimmy
* Bacon-Wrapped Scallops, By: Linda
* Bacon-Wrapped Butternut Squash, By: Evan and Brook
* Rouladen, By: Lynnette
* Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread Mini Muffins, By: Stephen H and Laura
* Pecan Bacon Bars, By: Linda
* Bourbon Bacon Monkey Bread, By: Charlie
* Bacon and Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Sticks, By: Rebecca
* Bacon Carmelitas, By: Rebecca
* Bacon Maple Cake Balls, By: Rebecca
* Breakfast Shots, By: Elle – Enjoyed first thing in the morning and then all day!
* Bourbon Whiskey – used with the Breakfast Bacon Shots, Brought by: Matt
* Bacon Pudding Shots, By: Elle – FAILED ATTEMPT
We also video-taped an important reading about Heart Attack symptoms to watch for on Bacon Day, read by: Charlie:
Unfortunately, due to the off/on rain on Bacon Day and just being overwhelmed with other events, we did not get to smash over the Bacon Pinata I had made for this year. I will be saving it for next year.
After thoughts of Elle:
Bacon Day was a blast! The day was all about full bellies, drinks in hand, swimming in the pool while it rained, and bacon stickers on our faces as if Bacon Warriors! The idea of creating a day-long event all about bacon bringing so many people together is astonishing. Being able to bring so many family members and friends together always surprises me.
Some things I want to make sure to keep in mind for next year:
1.) Find a larger place to gather (My goal is to have a PUBLIC festival one day).
2.) Organize a “Sign-In” notebook to gather who brought what. I don’t want to miss mentioning someone’s bacon treat on the write-up.
3.) Have more fun things to do and make sure to do them (i.e. Bacon Pinata).
4.) Don’t forget bacon decorations (I forgot the tablecloth and bacon runner this year).
5.) More pictures of everyone (i.e. Bacon ‘stashes).
6.) Continue the bacon strip stickers (maybe even bring makeup for face painting).
This year, International Bacon Day landed on August 31.
We were lucky enough to have MANY guests for Bacon Day this year! I want to thank everyone who came to participate in Bacon day: my husband Ric, Jimmy, Robin, Morgan, Cameron, Stephen, Travis, Charlie, Aaron, Jill, Billy, Heather and Ronnie. And Creepy Cat joined us, along with Mr. Bacon (thanks Aunt Benna!). Don’t forget to check out the Bacon ‘Stashes aquired!
I did have to work the morning of Bacon Day, but I showed my bacon love by wearing a pink and brown scrub combo. And of course I did my nails!
This year we met up at a home my cousin Stephen, brother Jimmy and his family rented for the Labor Day weekend. We went with a potluck idea. Everyone to bring a recipe to try out. Well, my family always goes above and beyond and of course brought many. 🙂 And of course we had friends that brought their recipes too! I’ll list the full menu below and links to recipes if they were provided:
Bacon Muffins with Bacon Guava Paste – By: Elle
* We also ate straight bacon strips dipped into the Bacon Guava Paste
Bacon Explosion w/Filling – By: Elle and Ric
BBQ Bloody Mary (with Beer) and Bacon Garnish – By: Stephen
Bacon Champagne – By: Elle
I feel as though this year was a BIG success. We had repeat offenders for bacon day, new faces, old recipes, and new ones. Most of the recipes turned out fantastic! Bacon Peach Pie didn’t do so well this year. We used bacon that was too thick. It does require thin bacon for the top. I also feel that the Bacon Champagne didn’t turn out well. The idea was to put a cooked bacon strip and fruit into a glass and pour chaampagne over it, hoping that the “bubbly” would release some bacon flavor. It did not. But I am determined and will continue my efforts to bring more bacon cocktails to this blog.
I already can’t wait for next year! I’m pretty sure I have the perfect plan…..
I leave you with video and photos of our bacon celebration. I have noted the photos taken by our Official Bacon Day Photographer, Charlie. 🙂 And the video was compliments of my husband, Ric with help from Robin!