This year, Bacon Day landed on September 5th.
My cousin Stephen and brother Jimmy rented a house again for their stay this Bacon Day and was nice enough to let us have the event there. This was very much needed because as with every year the guest arrival seems to grow.
We had an awesome guest list: Me, Ric, my cousin Stephen, Wendy, Stephen’s new pups Shasta and Alice, my brother Jimmy, sister in law Robin, niece Cameron, niece Morgan, My pops (Gerald) and mom (Sandra), Aunt Linda, cousin Tommy, cousin Travis, Charlie, Rebecca, Brook, Evan, Matt, Stephen H, Laura, Jeff, Lynnette, and Alex.
Everyone showed up with various bacon goodies, packages of bacon, booze, and other supplies. Once again we were so overwhelmed with the generosity from all of our family and friends. The infamous Bacon Explosion did not make it into the festivities this year. I know! It’s a staple to the event, but we had so many wonderful things brought by guests to enjoy! The generosity of our guests was amazing and the table was always full!
Here is the menu from Bacon Day 2015:
* Bacon Sweet Rolls (Cinnamon Rolls), By: Elle
* Maple Bacon Donuts and Chocolate Bacon Donuts, from The Donut King, Brought by: Evan and Brook
* Bacon-Wrapped Beef Filet Biscuit Sandwiches, By: Stephen
* Jalapeno Poppers, By: Stephen and Wendy
* Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, By: Jimmy
* Hickory Smoked Jalapeno Bacon, By: Jimmy
* Whiskey Bacon Jam/Spread, By: Jimmy
* Kona Bacon, By: Robin
* Crab and Bacon Dip, By: Linda
* Sriracha Honey Bacon, By: Matt
* Fancy Ass B.L.T., By: Ric
* Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Burnt Ends, By: Jimmy
* Bacon-Wrapped Scallops, By: Linda
* Bacon-Wrapped Butternut Squash, By: Evan and Brook
* Rouladen, By: Lynnette
* Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread Mini Muffins, By: Stephen H and Laura
* Pecan Bacon Bars, By: Linda
* Bourbon Bacon Monkey Bread, By: Charlie
* Bacon and Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Sticks, By: Rebecca
* Bacon Carmelitas, By: Rebecca
* Bacon Maple Cake Balls, By: Rebecca
* Breakfast Shots, By: Elle – Enjoyed first thing in the morning and then all day!
* Bourbon Whiskey – used with the Breakfast Bacon Shots, Brought by: Matt
* Bacon Pudding Shots, By: Elle – FAILED ATTEMPT
We also video-taped an important reading about Heart Attack symptoms to watch for on Bacon Day, read by: Charlie:
Unfortunately, due to the off/on rain on Bacon Day and just being overwhelmed with other events, we did not get to smash over the Bacon Pinata I had made for this year. I will be saving it for next year.
After thoughts of Elle:
Bacon Day was a blast! The day was all about full bellies, drinks in hand, swimming in the pool while it rained, and bacon stickers on our faces as if Bacon Warriors! The idea of creating a day-long event all about bacon bringing so many people together is astonishing. Being able to bring so many family members and friends together always surprises me.
Some things I want to make sure to keep in mind for next year:
1.) Find a larger place to gather (My goal is to have a PUBLIC festival one day).
2.) Organize a “Sign-In” notebook to gather who brought what. I don’t want to miss mentioning someone’s bacon treat on the write-up.
3.) Have more fun things to do and make sure to do them (i.e. Bacon Pinata).
4.) Don’t forget bacon decorations (I forgot the tablecloth and bacon runner this year).
5.) More pictures of everyone (i.e. Bacon ‘stashes).
6.) Continue the bacon strip stickers (maybe even bring makeup for face painting).
Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Recipe By: Jimmy
NOTE: You will need a smoker for this method, although this could be done in the oven at 225 degrees for about 2 hours.*
* 15 – 20 Jalapeno Peppers
* 8 oz Cream Cheese
* 8 oz Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Mexican, ect..)
* 1 lb Thin Cut Bacon
* Let cream cheese get to room temp.
* Cut stems off jalapenos, then cut lengthways (to make “boats”). Remove the seeds and ribs.
* Combine cream cheese and shredded cheese in a bowl.
Put small portion of the cheese mixture in each jalapeno (fill it, but not too much).
* Wrap each jalapeno with a slice of bacon – end to end first, then bend bacon 90 degrees and “spiral back down” the jalapeno, securing with a toothpick.
* Put on smoker at 225 degrees for about 2 hours.