This year, Bacon Day landed on August 30th.
I was lucky enough to have a wonderful co-worker (Megan) switch Saturdays with me this year. This meant I was able to get up early, get ready and immediately start cooking bacon.
We had an awesome guest list: My pops (Gerald) and mom (Sandra), Ric’s mom (Carolyn) and her friend David, my brother Jimmy, sister in law Robin, nieces Cameron and Morgan, cousin Stephen, Charlie, Rebecca, Autumn, Rick, Brook, Evan, Aaron, Jill, Alex, and MacKenzie.
Everyone showed up with various bacon goodies, packages of bacon, booze, and other supplies. We were so overwhelmed with the generosity from all of our family and friends. This year really showed us how much Bacon Day can be so amazing! In fact, we were so overwhelmed with food that Ric and I were unable to do a couple recipes we had on hand. One of which was Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bacon Tacos. But don’t worry all these recipes will make it to the blog!
Here is the menu from Bacon Day 2014:
* Sweet & Spicy Bacon Twists, By: Robin
* Bacon Wrapped Sweet Pickled Watermelon Rinds, By: Rebecca
* Crab Dip with Bacon Cups, By: Autumn (pending recipe)
* Pringles: Bacon Flavored – Brought by Jimmy/Robin/Cameron/Morgan
* Bacon Burger Sliders, By: Jimmy (pending recipe)
* Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin, By: Stephen
* Bacon Jalapeño Corn Bread, By: Charlie
* Vanilla and Corn Infused Bacon Gravy and Brioche Biscuits, By: Jill (pending recipe)
* Curry Bacon Pasta, By: Elle
* Bacon Explosion, By: Ric & Elle
– Bacon Bloody Marys, By: Autumn (pending recipe)
Bacon Explosion News from Bacon Day:
* We decided to try yet another type of meat mixture for the “meat blanket” portion of the Bacon Explosion: Pork Chorizo and Breakfast Sausage from Petty’s Meats in Longwood and also some ground pork from the supermarket.
* For the bacon lattice, it came together wonderfully.
*…… then, I had the bright idea of putting a little coconut oil on it between going from the oven to the grill…. and it actually EXPLODED. But, don’t worry, we had plenty of bacon. I removed the outside lattice and the inside was cooked enough that it held together. I made another bacon lattice, wrapped it back up, and started over with the cooking. Turned out great!
And CHRISTOPHER DANIELS????
Wait. You don’t know about this? There have been some words going back and forth with Bacon in the Oven, The Read Pile and Christopher Daniels leading up to Bacon Day. To sum it up, I challenged Daniels to a Bacon-Off to take place on Bacon Day. The results to all of this turned out wonderfully! If you unfortunately missed out on all the fun through my twitter and The Read Pile’s shows, don’t despair: Elle vs Daniels.
After thoughts of Elle:
I am so happy with how Bacon Day went! We had lots of food, great company, a comical event took place, and I discovered “coconut oil bad for grill”. But as with every Bacon Day that passes, I instantly think of more ways to celebrate and immediately start thinking of next year. 🙂
I got the idea from a pin on Pinterest called Pancakes and Bacon Breakfast Shot, by Jeffrey Jacoby.
* shot of Bourbon Whiskey of your choice
* pancake syrup
* shot of orange juice
* piece of cooked bacon
* Give your shot of Bourbon Whiskey a splash of pancake syrup
* Take your shot of Bourbon Whiskey
* Follow up immediately with your shot of orange juice
* Now eat your bacon!
* And GOOD Morning!
(NOTE: As many other bloggers do, I must state this is not an actual recommendation for breakfast. Even though, we did include it for a morning pleasure on Bacon Day 2014.)
OTHER VERSIONS TO TRY:
* Also, in place of your plain Bourbon Whiskey, infuse it with bacon first. You can follow the same directions we did for own home-made Bacon Infused Vodka.
* You can also try adding something to your liquor shot to change the “breakfast flavor”. In addition to (or in place of) your pancake syrup, try adding the following for more of a “breakfast experience”:
Here’s a quick run through of how it goes (our video from Bacon Day 2014):
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
* You have many opportunities to make adjustments to this recipe. You can chose to use any flavor of bacon, different liquors, or even different juice.
* I am open to any suggestions or ideas on how to improve this recipe.
I compiled a list of ways to enjoy bacon in your booze this holiday season! Have fun and enjoy your bacon booze responsibly!
(Lots of cocktail recipes with their bourbon: Bacon Bourbon Cocktails)
PLEASE CHECK OUT “Beer Advocate” for their list of bacon beers with reviews and locations:
Bacon Vodka – Easily make your own! From Elle.
Bacon Beer – Easily make your own! From Brew Your Own.
BBQ Bloody Mary (use Bacon Vodka) – From Stephen.
Breakfast in a Cup – From Old Forester.
Bacon Apple Cider – From Jezra
Spiked & Spiced Bacon Eggnog – From Bacon Today
Bacon, Bourbon, and Hazelnut Hot Chocolate – From Serious Eats
Bacon Cherry Creek Bourbon Cocktail – From Lance Mayhew, on About.com
Bacon – Apple Martini – From Elle.
Bacon Bloody Mary – From Elle.
Bacon Jello Shots – From Elle.