This year, Bacon Day landed on September 5th.
My cousin Stephen and brother Jimmy rented a house again for their stay this Bacon Day and was nice enough to let us have the event there. This was very much needed because as with every year the guest arrival seems to grow.
We had an awesome guest list: Me, Ric, my cousin Stephen, Wendy, Stephen’s new pups Shasta and Alice, my brother Jimmy, sister in law Robin, niece Cameron, niece Morgan, My pops (Gerald) and mom (Sandra), Aunt Linda, cousin Tommy, cousin Travis, Charlie, Rebecca, Brook, Evan, Matt, Stephen H, Laura, Jeff, Lynnette, and Alex.
Everyone showed up with various bacon goodies, packages of bacon, booze, and other supplies. Once again we were so overwhelmed with the generosity from all of our family and friends. The infamous Bacon Explosion did not make it into the festivities this year. I know! It’s a staple to the event, but we had so many wonderful things brought by guests to enjoy! The generosity of our guests was amazing and the table was always full!
Here is the menu from Bacon Day 2015:
* Bacon Sweet Rolls (Cinnamon Rolls), By: Elle
* Maple Bacon Donuts and Chocolate Bacon Donuts, from The Donut King, Brought by: Evan and Brook
* Bacon-Wrapped Beef Filet Biscuit Sandwiches, By: Stephen
* Jalapeno Poppers, By: Stephen and Wendy
* Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, By: Jimmy
* Hickory Smoked Jalapeno Bacon, By: Jimmy
* Whiskey Bacon Jam/Spread, By: Jimmy
* Kona Bacon, By: Robin
* Crab and Bacon Dip, By: Linda
* Sriracha Honey Bacon, By: Matt
* Fancy Ass B.L.T., By: Ric
* Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Burnt Ends, By: Jimmy
* Bacon-Wrapped Scallops, By: Linda
* Bacon-Wrapped Butternut Squash, By: Evan and Brook
* Rouladen, By: Lynnette
* Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread Mini Muffins, By: Stephen H and Laura
* Pecan Bacon Bars, By: Linda
* Bourbon Bacon Monkey Bread, By: Charlie
* Bacon and Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Sticks, By: Rebecca
* Bacon Carmelitas, By: Rebecca
* Bacon Maple Cake Balls, By: Rebecca
* Breakfast Shots, By: Elle – Enjoyed first thing in the morning and then all day!
* Bourbon Whiskey – used with the Breakfast Bacon Shots, Brought by: Matt
* Bacon Pudding Shots, By: Elle – FAILED ATTEMPT
We also video-taped an important reading about Heart Attack symptoms to watch for on Bacon Day, read by: Charlie:
Unfortunately, due to the off/on rain on Bacon Day and just being overwhelmed with other events, we did not get to smash over the Bacon Pinata I had made for this year. I will be saving it for next year.
After thoughts of Elle:
Bacon Day was a blast! The day was all about full bellies, drinks in hand, swimming in the pool while it rained, and bacon stickers on our faces as if Bacon Warriors! The idea of creating a day-long event all about bacon bringing so many people together is astonishing. Being able to bring so many family members and friends together always surprises me.
Some things I want to make sure to keep in mind for next year:
1.) Find a larger place to gather (My goal is to have a PUBLIC festival one day).
2.) Organize a “Sign-In” notebook to gather who brought what. I don’t want to miss mentioning someone’s bacon treat on the write-up.
3.) Have more fun things to do and make sure to do them (i.e. Bacon Pinata).
4.) Don’t forget bacon decorations (I forgot the tablecloth and bacon runner this year).
5.) More pictures of everyone (i.e. Bacon ‘stashes).
6.) Continue the bacon strip stickers (maybe even bring makeup for face painting).
I got the idea from a pin on Pinterest called Pancakes and Bacon Breakfast Shot, by Jeffrey Jacoby.
* shot of Bourbon Whiskey of your choice
* pancake syrup
* shot of orange juice
* piece of cooked bacon
* Give your shot of Bourbon Whiskey a splash of pancake syrup
* Take your shot of Bourbon Whiskey
* Follow up immediately with your shot of orange juice
* Now eat your bacon!
* And GOOD Morning!
(NOTE: As many other bloggers do, I must state this is not an actual recommendation for breakfast. Even though, we did include it for a morning pleasure on Bacon Day 2014.)
OTHER VERSIONS TO TRY:
* Also, in place of your plain Bourbon Whiskey, infuse it with bacon first. You can follow the same directions we did for own home-made Bacon Infused Vodka.
* You can also try adding something to your liquor shot to change the “breakfast flavor”. In addition to (or in place of) your pancake syrup, try adding the following for more of a “breakfast experience”:
Here’s a quick run through of how it goes (our video from Bacon Day 2014):
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
* You have many opportunities to make adjustments to this recipe. You can chose to use any flavor of bacon, different liquors, or even different juice.
* I am open to any suggestions or ideas on how to improve this recipe.
I compiled a list of ways to enjoy bacon in your booze this holiday season! Have fun and enjoy your bacon booze responsibly!
(Lots of cocktail recipes with their bourbon: Bacon Bourbon Cocktails)
PLEASE CHECK OUT “Beer Advocate” for their list of bacon beers with reviews and locations:
Bacon Vodka – Easily make your own! From Elle.
Bacon Beer – Easily make your own! From Brew Your Own.
BBQ Bloody Mary (use Bacon Vodka) – From Stephen.
Breakfast in a Cup – From Old Forester.
Bacon Apple Cider – From Jezra
Spiked & Spiced Bacon Eggnog – From Bacon Today
Bacon, Bourbon, and Hazelnut Hot Chocolate – From Serious Eats
Bacon Cherry Creek Bourbon Cocktail – From Lance Mayhew, on About.com
Bacon – Apple Martini – From Elle.
Bacon Bloody Mary – From Elle.
Bacon Jello Shots – From Elle.