Hickory Smoked Jalapeno Bacon
Recipe By: Jimmy
NOTE: Adaptation from AmazingRibs.com Homemade Bacon.*
NOTE: You will need a smoker for this method.*
NOTE: This recipe takes a week or two for preparation.*
* 1 lb Pork Belly
* 4 diced/minced jalapenos
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Morton’s Kosher Salt (Note: Morton’s Kosher for measurement purposes. Smaller salt would need to be adjusted.)
* 1/2 teaspoon Curing Powder #1 (Approximately 94% Salt, 6% Sodium Nitrite)
* 1 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
* 2 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
* 1/4 cup Distilled Water
* Scale up the proportions for larger cuts, or trim to multiply 1 lb. sections and cure separately. The main objective is to keep the proportions.
* Combine all but the Pork Belly in a bowl.
* Trim the Pork Belly if needed and rinse off.
* Put Pork Belly in a 1 gallon ziplock bag (larger if needed) and add the Cure. Get as much air out as possible, seal and massage the cure evenly on the Pork Belly.
* refrigerate for 7 days, massaging and flipping every day or two to evenly distribute the Cure on the Pork Belly.
* After 7 day (more won’t hurt), rinse off the Pork Belly and smoke for 2 hours at 225 degrees (or until internal temp is 150 degrees).
* Slice and cook as normal, or it can be saved in the refrigerator for a week or two.
Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Recipe By: Jimmy
NOTE: You will need a smoker for this method, although this could be done in the oven at 225 degrees for about 2 hours.*
* 15 – 20 Jalapeno Peppers
* 8 oz Cream Cheese
* 8 oz Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Mexican, ect..)
* 1 lb Thin Cut Bacon
* Let cream cheese get to room temp.
* Cut stems off jalapenos, then cut lengthways (to make “boats”). Remove the seeds and ribs.
* Combine cream cheese and shredded cheese in a bowl.
Put small portion of the cheese mixture in each jalapeno (fill it, but not too much).
* Wrap each jalapeno with a slice of bacon – end to end first, then bend bacon 90 degrees and “spiral back down” the jalapeno, securing with a toothpick.
* Put on smoker at 225 degrees for about 2 hours.