Black-Eyed Pea Dip with Bacon
* (2) 15.5 oz cans of black-eyed peas
* 10-15 grape tomatoes, diced
* 1 green pepper, diced
* white balsamic vinegar
* olive oil
* garlic powder
* 1 package bacon, cooked, crumbled
*** THIS RECIPE IS BEST IF DONE THE NIGHT BEFORE OR AT LEAST A FEW HOURS BEFORE SERVING.
*** I recommend cooking your bacon closer to serving time.
* In a large mixing bowl, add your diced tomatoes, green pepper, and black-eyed peas.
* Add in your garlic powder, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil to your liking. Mix well. Remember, you can drain the mixture later on. You are simply wanting to marinate your dip ingredients.
* Place in a sealed tuberware and place in the refrigerator for a few hours, but preferably overnight. This will allow your ingredients to marinate well.
* After your dip has marinated, removed from the tuberware drain any excess oil and vinegar needed. Place in a serving bowl. Add your fresh bacon crumbles on top (stir in if wanted) and serve with chips.
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
* You have many opportunities to make adjustments to this recipe. You can chose to use any flavor of bacon, different veggies, or even different seasoning.
* It’s best to serve cold but this dish can be cooked and served warm.
* You do have the option to use left over bacon grease in place of your olive oil, but this may make it a bit heavy.
* I would recommend adding the following: corn, fresh cilantro or green onion, and/or diced jalapeno peppers.
* I am open to any suggestions or ideas on how to improve this recipe.