Bacon Scotch Eggs, By: Jill
By: Jill, Delectable Cooking
* 6 eggs
* ¾ lb bacon
* 1 egg, well beaten
* Bread crumbs
* Salt, pepper, dried herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
* Oil for deep frying
* Whole grain honey mustard for garnish
* Put 6 eggs into small pot and cover with cool water.
* Bring water to a boil for 3 minutes.
* Remove from heat and add ice to the water. As ice melts, add more until eggs have cooled completely.
* Meanwhile, grind or very finely chop bacon. Keep chilled until ready to use.
* Peel eggs and dry with a paper towel.
* Heat oil to 365°.
* Create “standard breading station”, 3 plates or bowls with separately seasoned flour, beaten egg, and seasoned breadcrumbs.
* Dredge egg in flour, gently tapping off any excess.
* Gently form ¼ inch layer of bacon around egg.
* Dredge in flour again, then pass through egg, and then through bread crumbs.
* Deep fry until golden brown and crisp.
* Remove to baking cooling rack over paper towel lined pan.
* Cut in half or quarters. Drizzle with whole grain honey mustard.