Guava-Bacon Crunch Bites
* Athens Fillo Dough, prep as directed on box
* 1 medium guava
* 1 pkg of bacon, cooked, cut into small bits
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
* 3 packets sugar substitute or 6 tsp sugar
Prep. Cut open one guava and toss outer layer. Cut guava into chucks and place in hot pan. Add 3 packets of sugar substitute. Mash guava while it starts to cook down. Set aside while you work on your fillo dough.
Mix guava, walnuts, and bacon together. Set aside.
Grab your fillo dough you have already prepped. Cut the dough into even squares. I found it easier to use a pizza cutter. Now get you delicious mixture and place about a tablespoon of the mixture into the center of each square. Fold up the edges to meet at top and twist to close as a cup. This will seal itself.
Place each cup (or ‘bite’) onto a buttered baking sheet and place in the oven at 325 degrees until browned.
Let cool and enjoy! You can even make a dipping sauce: simply mix raspberry preserves and melted butter.
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
* You have many opportunities to make adjustments to this recipe. You can chose to use any flavor of bacon, different type of pastry, or a different fruit.
* I did notice that they pretty much required of dipping sauce because they were a little dry. This may improve by simply using 2 guavas instead of just one.
* I also noticed that the bacon was a little tough compared to the other textures in the ingredients. I think if you add your cooked bacon bits to the guava as you cook it down, it may soften the bacon back up.
* Oh, and one more thing. Fillo dough is not my friend.
* This was my first attempt at this recipe and I am open to any suggestions or ideas on how to improve it.